Sunday, June 26, 2005

Got the haircut, need the real job

So I started that job last week, it's not too bad so far. I'm still looking for something a little more permanent though. This job is mostly playing with power tools, and doing odd stuff around the shop. There's only me and the owner working there right now... there was another guy working there before but he didn't show up to work all week. The owner Steve used to be a backpacker from the UK but he ended up staying here and has been here for 16 years. :)

My first day on the job was fun. I did a little bit of work around the shop, then we hooked up Steve's trailer on the back of his ute and went to pick up some panels at a yard across town. We were sitting there at a stoplight and Steve says "Shit" and I hear a screech of tires, a loud bang, then get thrown against the back of the seat. A guy in another ute slammed into the back of our trailer hard enough to push us into the car in front. Luckily for me the headrest was adjusted to the right height for my head, and I didn't have anything worse than a headache for a few hours afterwards.

I wish I had my camera then, cause the accident (or smash as they call it) was a huge mess. The guy who hit us worked for a window company, and there was glass everywhere. Heh. The damage to our ute wasn't too bad... the roo bar on the front got pushed back and broke one of the headlights, and the trailer hitch got bent up to a 45 degree angle. Other assorted lights broken, and other stuff bent... shouldn't cost that much to fix it all anyways. The trailer took most of the hit.

Other than that the week's been pretty slow. I joined a local gym with a few other guys in the hostel, so I can whip myself back into shape now. My mom's shipping over my running shoes from back home so I'm going to start running again. Next weekend I'm signed up to run a quarter of a marathon with those guys at the hostel here... I have no idea what I'm thinking. For the record, I really was drunk when I signed up to do it :)

Huh. Last night was a good night... went to the local bar with most of the hostel. They have $10 nights here every Saturday... everyone pays 10 bucks and we get a huge bar tab. It's basically all you can drink all night. We ran out of pitchers around 2:00 last night though :( Probably a good thing. I'll try and get some pictures from the bar this week, a few people brought their cameras. It's been too long since I've posted drunken Brad pictures on here. heh

Couple pictures... the hostel I've been at the last few weeks, and the outside of the shop I've been working at. Note the puddles... it's been raining just about every day still. Although 20 degrees during the day in the middle of winter here isn't bad :)





Next post should be more interesting... I'll make sure I get some pictures of me dying after the run next weekend. heh

-Brad

4 Comments:

At June 26, 2005 10:57 a.m., Blogger Martin Cathrae said...

Good luck on the run, drink lots of water. Don't go out partying the night before and get home at 2. From experience.

 
At June 26, 2005 12:10 p.m., Blogger Pamela said...

Forget what Martin said...I say drink lots the night before and stay up really late...it will just make the pictures of you dying as you run even better!

 
At June 27, 2005 10:43 a.m., Blogger Bradtholomew said...

I'm gonna listen to Pam on this one. Except I'll likely be out till 4 or 5 in the morning again.

Oh yeah, a ute is a small pickup truck. They had to be different here though. And yeah, a roo bar is for that. Well, it's less of a push than... well, a splat. :)

 
At June 29, 2005 11:20 a.m., Blogger Martin Cathrae said...

it's critical you read this article, it could save your life!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home