Tuesday, April 19, 2005

I'm an experienced woodsman, really!

Yeah... yeah... what a great week. The walk was excellent and the weather was great. On the bus ride to the start of the walk we were told the area gets rain 300 days a year. We ended up having rain two out of seven days... and both times you couldn't really call it even rain. When it comes to weather I must have a horseshoe up my ass... doesn't make walking any harder at least :)

There's just too many pictures to post all on my blog here, so I'll put up a few of my favorite ones. But check out my pictures (link on the right) to see all of 'em.







The walk was pretty different from any of the others I've done in Australia so far. There's supposed to be around 10000 people doing the walk every year, so it gets kind of crowded at times. We ended up travelling with mostly the same group of people who set out on the same day as us and were staying at the same huts. Even still, I can see why this walk is so popular. I would have needed a far bigger memory card on my camera take a picture at all the pictureworthy things.

Lots of wildlife still... but mostly possums and wallabies. I'm kinda disappointed I didn't see any Tasmanian Devils, but they're pretty rare (and nocturnal) so I'd probably have to go to a zoo to see one.

Heh, met a lot of interesting people on the walk. I think its part of the package; to be a bushwalker you have to be a little crazy. Lets see... there was a girl from Israel, she was hilarious. She kinda said whatever popped into her head... her comment to a couple German people she just met talking in German was "You two talking remind me of Holocaust movies!" ...to which there was kind of a stunned silence. Heh, that was funny. There was a guy who didn't really pack very well (he brought two sleeping bags??) and had over 30 kilos in his pack. Heh, he was hurting by the end of every day I'm sure. There was an older guy who was probably the craziest of the bunch; he kept telling all the girls walking on their own stories about how people disappeared over the years, and how people have been murdered out in the wild before. Heh, very reassuring!

Sure was nice to get a shower today. I'd post some more pictures of me towards the end of the walk, but you can literally see the stink lines coming off me :)

Anyways, its getting past my bedtime here now. When we were out on the walk everyone kinda went to bed very early... since there's nothing at all to do after its dark! (you can only play so many games of Shithead (a card game))

Here's one more picture for good measure I guess. I like this one.



Well, looks like I'll be in Tasmania for a while longer yet. My bank account is gonna kind of slip into the negatives when I have to pay my Visa bill at the end of the month, so I'll have to work for a while so I can get off this island in decent shape. So probably no new posts for a while. Oh no! hahahaha

-Brad

6 Comments:

At April 19, 2005 8:16 a.m., Blogger Martin Cathrae said...

kickass pictures, looks like a great walk. Go make money!

 
At April 19, 2005 6:29 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about the girl(annette)?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

 
At April 19, 2005 10:25 p.m., Blogger Bradtholomew said...

What about her? We're still talking after a week in the bush, so thats something I guess. We won't be travelling together or anything though.

...stupid anonymous comments...

 
At April 20, 2005 1:55 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

bone the girl.........or any girl

 
At April 21, 2005 9:38 p.m., Blogger Bradtholomew said...

Haha, someone has standards!

 
At April 25, 2005 4:16 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

She turned ya down eh? heh heh heh


How'd you get the cool effect with that stream waterfall? Does your camera have shutter options?


Brad, reading this is waaay better than work. I owe ya one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home