Sunday, June 05, 2005

No beer makes Brad something something...

Y'know, this no drinking thing is starting to get tough. I've been to four bars this month so far, and have had more Coke in that time than I'd had the entire year before. Sigh...

Ah well. So I've made it out to the West Coast. The train ride out here was... well, very long. I ended up sitting on the train for about 36 hours, which was actually longer than the flight from Canada to Australia. It was an experience anyways. There's a whole lotta nothing between Adelaide and Perth. The majority of the trip was across the Nullarbor, which is an area with (surprisingly) no trees or hills, just a lotta scrub brush. Interesting at first, but gets quickly boring. Part of the track along here is the longest straight section of railway in the world. I can think of more exciting records, but there you go.

We stopped in a couple outback towns, one called Cook (permanent population: 3) and the other Kalgoorlie (30,000). Cook was interesting... it actually used to have a school and a hospital, but now it's just a souvenir stand and a bunch of cottages.

Kalgoorlie was a little better. We had a 3 hour stop there, so I got to see a good part of the town at least. One of the bigger tourist attractions in town was the brothels. Picture a tour bus full of old ladies with cameras driving by with all the prostitutes out front. heh. One of the brothels even offered tours (which I went on, of course) :) Had time to go to a couple pubs in town to check out the live music and drink Coke.

A couple pictures; the sunrise from the train, and the train plus an outback sign in Cook.





So, now I'm in Perth. One of the most isolated cities in the world. Seems pretty quiet so far, but I haven't seen too much yet. My plan for today is to hire a bike and have a look around town. Tomorrow is a public holiday (can't remember why) so on Tuesday I'll have to start the job search. I had a quick glance through the paper yesterday, and it doesn't look like I'll have that much trouble finding a job. A guy in my dorm room here told me he has a job clearing tables for twenty bucks an hour, and that he's leaving in a week and could put in a word for me. Almost too easy.. but I'll try and find something better at first. I think I'll apply to some golf courses or something... that'd be sweet.

One more picture; a view over the river in Adelaide.



-Brad

3 Comments:

At June 06, 2005 8:38 a.m., Blogger Martin Cathrae said...

good for you sticking with the no drinking. not that I doubted you could do it, as you proved before.

I had an interesting weekend that is causing me to take a bit of a break from drinking as well. maybe only a couple weeks, but a break none the less.

The pictures look great, have fun in Perth.

 
At June 06, 2005 4:17 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

arent you only into your 6th day of no drinking??

 
At June 07, 2005 12:03 a.m., Blogger Bradtholomew said...

Haha, it's been almost a week and a half now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home